Best Physics Books for IIT JAM Exam Preparations 2023
The below table contains the list of the Best Books for the IIT JAM 2023 Physics exam preparations.
RPH Editorial Board
David J. Griffiths
F.W. Sears, G.L. Salinger
- This book included Solved Practice Papers and Previous Papers.
- Detailed answers have been provided to the questions.
- IIT – JAM Physics (solved previous Year’s test Paper & mock tests for all M.Sc. Entrance examinations publications).
- The book serves as a general text in solid-state physics for undergraduates in physics, applied physics, engineering, and other related scientific disciplines.
- It covers a wide range of topics with as many practical applications as possible.
- New numerical exercises help students develop skills in the use of computer techniques to solve problems in physics.
- Mathematical techniques are presented in detail so that the text remains fully accessible to students who have not had an intermediate course in classical mechanics.
- Discussed everything elaborately.
- There are very few problems covered.
- This textbook illustrates the theoretical steps with well-chosen examples and careful illustrations.
- Includes numerous problems, varying from straightforward to elaborate.
- Provides an introduction to statistical mechanics and kinetic theory.
- 16 Previous years’ solved papers [2021-2015] for practice.
- 3 Practice Sets are given to track the progress.
- All the answers have been well explained with details for a better understanding of the concepts.
You may also be interested in:
To secure an excellent rank in the IIT JAM exam, one must give equal importance to other subjects too. Here is the collective list of the best books to get started with your IIT JAM preparations.
IIT-JAM 2022: Physics Syllabus for Preparation
- Calculus of single and multiple variables, partial derivatives, Jacobian, imperfect and perfect differentials, Taylor expansion, Fourier series.
- Vector algebra, Vector Calculus, Multiple integrals, Divergence theorem, Green’s theorem, Stokes’ theorem.
- First order equations and linear second order differential equations with constant coefficients.
- Matrices and determinants, Algebra of complex numbers.
- Newton’s laws of motion and applications, Velocity and acceleration in Cartesian, polar and cylindrical coordinate systems, uniformly rotating frame, centrifugal and Coriolis forces, Motion under a central force, Kepler’s laws, Gravitational Law and field, Conservative and non-conservative forces.
- System of particles, Center of mass, equation of motion of the CM, conservation of linear and angular momentum, conservation of energy, variable mass systems.
- Elastic and inelastic collisions.
- Rigid body motion, fixed axis rotations, rotation and translation, moments of Inertia and products of Inertia, parallel and perpendicular axes theorem.
- Principal moments and axes.
- Kinematics of moving fluids, equation of continuity, Euler’s equation, Bernoulli’s theorem.
- The differential equation for simple harmonic oscillator and its general solution.
- Superposition of two or more simple harmonic oscillators.
- Lissajous figures.
- Damped and forced oscillators, resonance.
- Wave equation, traveling and standing waves in one dimension.
- Energy density and energy transmission in waves.
- Group velocity and phase velocity.
- Sound waves in media.
- Doppler Effect.
- Fermat’s Principle.
- The general theory of image formation.
- Thick lens, thin lens, and lens combinations.
- Interference of light, optical path retardation.
- Fraunhofer diffraction.
- Rayleigh criterion and resolving power.
- Diffraction gratings.
- Polarization: linear, circular, and elliptic polarization.
- Double refraction and optical rotation.
- Coulomb’s law, Gauss’s law.
- Electric field and potential.
- Electrostatic boundary conditions, Solution of Laplace’s equation for simple cases.
- Conductors, capacitors, dielectrics, dielectric polarization, volume and surface charges, electrostatic energy.
- Biot-Savart law, Ampere’s law, Faraday’s law of electromagnetic induction, Self and mutual inductance.
- Alternating currents.
- Simple DC and AC circuits with R, L, and C components.
- Displacement current, Maxwell’s equations, and plane electromagnetic waves, Poynting’s theorem, reflection and refraction at a dielectric interface, transmission and reflection coefficients (normal incidence only).
- Lorentz Force and motion of charged particles in electric and magnetic fields.
- Elements of Kinetic theory of gases.
- Velocity distribution and Equipartition of energy.
- Specific heat of Mono-, di- and tri-atomic gases.
- Ideal gas, van-der-Waals gas, and equation of state.
- Mean free path.
- Laws of thermodynamics.
- Zeroth law and concept of thermal equilibrium.
- First law and its consequences.
- Isothermal and adiabatic processes.
- Reversible, irreversible, and quasi-static processes.
- Second law and entropy.
- Carnot cycle.
- Maxwell’s thermodynamic relations and simple applications.
- Thermodynamic potentials and their applications.
- Phase transitions and Clausius-Clapeyron equation.
- Ideas of ensembles, Maxwell-Boltzmann, Fermi-Dirac, and Bose-Einstein distributions.
- Inertial frames and Galilean invariance.
- Postulates of special relativity.
- Lorentz transformations.
- Length contraction, time dilation.
- Relativistic velocity addition theorem, mass-energy equivalence.
- Blackbody radiation, photoelectric effect, Compton effect, Bohr’s atomic model, X-rays.
- Wave-particle duality, Uncertainty principle, the superposition principle, calculation of expectation values, Schrödinger equation and its solution for one, two, and three-dimensional boxes.
- Solution of Schrödinger equation for the one-dimensional harmonic oscillator.
- Reflection and transmission at a step potential, Pauli exclusion principle.
- Structure of atomic nucleus, mass, and binding energy. Radioactivity and its applications.
- Laws of radioactive decay.
- Crystal structure, Bravais lattices, and basis.
- Miller indices.
- X-ray diffraction and Bragg’s law, Intrinsic and extrinsic semiconductors, variation of resistivity with temperature.
- Fermi level. p-n junction diode, I-V characteristics, Zener diode, and its applications, BJT: characteristics in CB, CE, CC modes.
- Single-stage amplifier, two stage R-C coupled amplifiers.
- Simple Oscillators: Barkhausen condition, sinusoidal oscillators.
- OPAMP and applications: Inverting and noninverting amplifier.
- Boolean algebra: Binary number systems; conversion from one system to another system; binary addition and subtraction.
- Logic Gates AND, OR, NOT, NAND, NOR exclusive OR; Truth tables; a combination of gates; de Morgan’s theorem