We care about your privacy and are committed to protecting your personal data. This privacy statement will inform you how we handle your personal data, your privacy rights, and how the law protects you. Please read this privacy statement carefully before using our Services.
This privacy statement applies to your use of any products, services, content, features, technologies, or functions, and all related websites, mobile apps, mobile sites, or other online platforms or applications offered to you by us (collectively the “Services/Platform“).
- Who are we?
Listyaan is the data controller for the personal data collected through this Platform.
- What data do we collect about you?
2.1.1 Data provided through direct interactions
Registration and other account information
When you register to use our Services, we may collect the following information about you:
- If you register using your Google account: first name, last name, and email address;
- If you register using your Facebook account: we collect your first name and last name as appeared on your Facebook account, Facebook IDs, and the URL to your Facebook profile picture. In the event you have provided permission to Facebook through their in-app privacy option (which appears just before you register on our Platform), we may collect your gender, age, or email id depending on the permissions granted by you.
- If you register using your mobile number, we collect your mobile number.
- If you register using your Apple ID: your first and last name and email address; you can decide whether to share your email address with us when you sign in to your Apple account.
- If you register using the signup form, we collect your name, email, mobile number & password.
Depending on the choices you make during the log-in to our Services or during the process of engaging our Services, you may opt to give the following additional personal data:
- Your name;
- E-mail address;
- Mobile number;
- Your credit card/debit card details in case you choose to purchase our paid services as defined in our Terms & Condition of your credit/debit card.
Communication through the chat feature on our Platform
When you use our chat feature to communicate with other users, we collect information that you choose to provide to other users through this feature.
Taking part in our user surveys
We will occasionally provide you with our user surveys to measure your overall satisfaction with the quality of our Services. For this purpose, we will only use a session log (this is a random identifier assigned to you when you are downloading our mobile app or visiting our website). Furthermore, you may choose to provide us with your contact details such as your email and your mobile number upon our request to contact you and invite you to attend one of our user experience (UX) tests or an interview with our team. Please be aware that the information you give us about our survey questions may occasionally contain personal data as voluntarily provided by you in your answers.
2.1.2 Data we collect automatically when you use our Services
When you interact with our Services, we automatically collect the following information about you:
- We collect device-specific information such as operating system versions, unique identifiers. For example, the name of the mobile network that you are using. We associate the device identifiers with your Listyaan account.
Client and Log data
- Technical details, including the Internet Protocol (IP) address of your device, time zone, and operating system. We will also store your login information (registration date, date of last password change, date of the last successful login), type, and version of your browser.
- We collect information about your activity on our Platform, which includes the sites from which you accessed our Platform, the date and time stamp of each visit, searches you have performed, listings or advertisement banners you clicked, your interaction with such advertisements or listings, duration of your visit and the order in which you visit the content on our Platform.
Cookies and Similar Technologies
- Why do we process your personal information?
We will only use your personal data when the law allows us to. Most commonly, we will use your personal data in the following circumstances:
- Where we need to perform the contract we are about to enter into or have entered into with you.
- Where it is necessary for our legitimate interests to improve our Services and to provide you with a safe and secure Platform.
- Where we need to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation.
In certain circumstances, we may also process your personal data based on your consent. If we do this, we will let you know the purpose and the category of personal data to be processed at the time we seek your consent.
We have set out below a description of the reasons for which we use your personal data, [and which of the legal bases we rely on to do so. We have also identified what our legitimate interests are, where appropriate].
3.1 For providing access and delivering Services through our Platform
- 1. If you log in using your mobile number or email id, we use your first name and last name, mobile number, and/or e-mail address to identify you as a user and provide access to our Platform.
- 2. If you log in using your Facebook account or Google account or your Apple ID, we use your first name and last name and your email address of such account, as well as the URL to your profile picture (except for Apple ID) we use your first name and last name from your Facebook profile and the Facebook e-mail address to identify you as a user on our Platform and to provide you access to our Platform.
- 3. We use third-party payment service providers to process any payment you make to our Services. Depending on the method of payment, you may be requested to provide us with your payment and credit card details which we will then provide to the payment service provider to process your payment. We do not store your credit card information unless you choose the option to save such information to make recurring payments easier without having to re-enter your details each time. In such cases, we only store your cardholder name, the card expiry date, your card type, and the last four digits of the card number. We do not store any credit card code verification values and merely forward such values and your credit card number in an encrypted manner to process your payment by our payment service provider.
We process the above information for the adequate performance of our contract with you.
3.2 For improving your experience on the Platform and developing new functionalities of the Platform
- We use clickstream data to:
- Offer you tailored content, such as giving you more relevant search results when using our Services.
- To determine how much time you spend on our Platform and in what manner you navigate through our Platform to understand your interests and to improve our Services based on this data. For example, we may provide you with suggestions on content that you can visit based on the content you have clicked.
- To monitor and report the effectiveness of the campaign delivery to our business partners and internal business analysis.
- 2. If you choose to provide us with your location data, we use your location data for the following purposes:
- To compile anonymously and aggregated information about the characteristics and behavior of Listyaan users, including for business analysis, segmentation, and development of anonymous profiles.
- To measure and monitor your interaction with the third-party advertisement banners, we place them on our Platform.
- With the help of your account information, which includes your email ID and phone number, we map the different devices (such as desktops, mobiles, tablets) used by you to access our Platform. This allows us to associate your activity on our Platform across devices and helps us in providing you a seamless experience no matter which device you use.
- We use the images you upload, the descriptions and prices you provide in your ad listings to train machine learning models to personalize search results about ad ranking and user interest, to improve the identification and presentation of ad listings, to improve the search function and to increase the likelihood of a successful sale. This helps us to improve our Services and to provide you with a better user experience.
- To show and recommend ad listings on our Services that may be of interest to you, we make use of algorithms that use information related to your browsing behavior, items you bought, clickstream data, your user ID, and your location data if you have permitted us to use this. We use this form of automated decision-making based on our legitimate interest in improving our Services and providing a better user experience by offering you more relevant ad listings.
- We access and analyze your chat messages with other users conducted through the chat function on our Platform, for product enhancement and to provide you with a better user experience (e.g. to identify sold items and to provide you with active listings only). Therefore, we develop and train machine learning models and algorithms to automatically analyze your chat content. To build and train our machine learning models our machine learning specialists may review exemplary chat content manually. In these circumstances highly restricted access rights apply to selected machine learning specialists analyzing the chat content. During this analysis process, we are de-identifying chat content as much as possible by applying a scanning filter to detect and hide personal data such as names, phone numbers, e-mail addresses. However, there may still be cases beyond our control in which the chat content may show certain personal data that you have chosen to provide.
We process the above information for the adequate performance of our contract with you and based on our legitimate interest to improve your experience of our Services.
3.3 To take your feedback, promote and offer you services that may be of your interest
- 1. We use your mobile number, log data, and unique device identifiers to administer and protect our Platform (including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, fraud prevention, system maintenance, support, reporting, and hosting of data).
- We access and analyze your chat messages with other users conducted through the chat function on our Services for customer satisfaction, safety, and fraud prevention purposes (e.g. to block spam or abusive messages that may have been sent to you by other users). Therefore, we develop and train machine learning models and algorithms helping us to automatically detect and prevent inappropriate and fraudulent user behavior. During the analysis and training process, we are de-identifying chat content as much as possible by anonymizing the unique identification values assigned to users. However, there may still be cases beyond our control in which the chat content may show certain personal data that you have chosen to provide. Only in limited cases and circumstances, do our customer safety and security specialists review chat content manually, for example, if we have strong indications leading to the urgent suspicion of fraudulent activities. In these circumstances, highly restrictive access rights apply to selected customer safety and security specialists analyzing the chat content.
- 3. To prevent and detect fraud on our Services, we make use of algorithms that recognize suspicious or fraudulent user behavior based on certain information such as user activity and posted content, which may lead to us banning certain user accounts. Automated banning happens when there is a very high degree of certainty that an account or action is fraudulent. Otherwise, human review takes place by selecting customer safety and security specialists based on highly restrictive access rights. We use this form of automated decision-making based on our legitimate interest in detecting and preventing fraud and keeping our Services safe and secure for our users. If you think that your account was wrongfully banned, you can contact our Customer Support team, in which case our team will review the decision to ban your account.
- 4. We collect certain information from and about the electronic device from which you are accessing our Services based on our legitimate interest in preventing fraud on our Services. The information we collect includes your user ID (depending on whether you are logged in), Listyaan country domain, IP address, device language settings, device brand and type, device operating system and version, browser type and version, and device-specific software information such as fonts, system and browser Time zone, available video and audio formats. The device-related information is used to determine whether the same device is being used when users interact with our Services. We associate such information with a user fraud score based on which we may ban certain users. For more information on this, please be referred to our Policy for Cookies and Similar Technologies. If you think that your account was wrongfully banned, you can contact us through our customer support helpline in which case our team will review the decision to ban your account.
3.4 To take your feedback, promote and offer you services that may be of your interest
- 1. We may contact you through your registered mobile number or email id to take feedback from you about our Services.
- 2. We use your email address and mobile number (by SMS) to make suggestions and recommendations to you about our Services that may be of interest to you.
- 3. We use clickstream data to monitor and report the effectiveness of the campaign delivery to our business partners and internal business analysis.
- 4. If you choose to provide us with your location data, we may use your location data to measure and monitor your interaction with the third-party advertisement banners we place on our Services.
We process the above information based on our legitimate interest in undertaking marketing activities to offer you Services that may be of your interest. Specifically, you may receive certain marketing communications from us:
- By any preferred means of communication if you have requested such information from us.
- By email or phone, regarding similar products and services, if you already use our Services or acquired some of our products.
- By phone or email, if you provided us with your details when you entered a competition; or
- By phone or email if you registered for a promotion.
- By phone or email, if you have provided your feedback for our Services through our Platform, social media, or any other means.
Being a registered user on our Platform, please note that if you have registered yourself on DND/DNC/NCPR services, you will still receive the above communications.
You can ask us to stop sending you such marketing communication at any time by clicking on the opt-out link in the email sent to you or by changing your notification settings in your account or stating to our calling agent that you do not wish to be contacted for the above marketing communications.
- How will we inform you about changes in our privacy statement?
We may amend and update this privacy statement from time to time. We will notify you of material changes to this privacy statement as appropriate under the circumstances and as required by applicable laws, e.g. by placing a prominent notice within our Services or by sending you a message via our Services or by sending you an email. If you do not agree with the way we are processing your personal data and the choices we are providing to you, you may close your account at any time by going into your account settings and selecting delete account.
We will communicate with you by email, SMS, or in the app notification in connection with our Services/Platform to confirm your registration, to inform you in case your ad listing has become life/expired and other transactional messages about our Services. As we must provide you with such transactional messages you may not be able to opt-out of such messages.
- Who do we share your data with?
We may have to share your personal data with the parties set out below for the purposes set out in section 3 above.
Corporate affiliates: We may share your data with our group companies, which are located within as well as outside India, and help us in providing business operation services such as product enhancements, customer support, and fraud detection mechanism.
Third-Party Service Providers: We use third-party service providers to help us deliver certain aspects of our Services, for example, cloud storage facilities.
We conduct checks on our third-party service providers and require them to respect the security of your personal data and to treat it by the law. We do not allow them to use your personal data for their own purposes and only permit them to process your personal data for specified purposes and per our instructions.
Advertising and analytics providers: To improve our Services, we will sometimes share your non-identifiable information with analytics providers that help us analyze how people are using our Platform/Service. We, share your information with them in a non-identifiable form for monitoring and reporting the effectiveness of the campaign delivery to our business partners and for internal business analysis. For further details about our advertisers and analytics providers, please refer to our <Policy for Cookies and similar Technologies>.
Law enforcement authorities, regulators, and others: We may disclose your personal data to law enforcement authorities, regulators, governmental or public bodies, and other relevant third parties to comply with any legal or regulatory requirements.
We may choose to sell, transfer, or merge parts of our business or our assets. Alternatively, we may seek to acquire other businesses or merge with them. If a change happens to our business, then the new owners may use your personal data in the same way as set out in this privacy statement.
Publicly available information: When you post an item for sale using our Services, you may choose to make certain personal information visible to other Listyaan users. This may include your first name, last name, email address, location, and contact number. Please note, any information you provide to other users can always be shared by them with others so please exercise discretion in this respect. You may be contacted through WhatsApp on the number provided by you during the listing and we are not responsible for any loss that occurred to you due to this.
- Where do we store your data and for how long?
The data we collect about you will be stored and processed in secure servers to provide the best possible user experience. For example – for fast website or mobile application build up.
We will only retain your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes we collected it for, including the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements.
To determine the appropriate retention period for personal data, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal data, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of your personal data, the purposes for which we process your personal data, and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
- Technical and organizational measures and processing security
All the information we receive about you is stored on secure servers and we have implemented technical and organizational measures that are suitable and necessary to protect your personal data. Listyaan continually evaluates the security of its network and adequacy of its internal information security program, which is designed to (a) help secure your data against accidental or unlawful loss, access or disclosure, (b) identify reasonably foreseeable risks to the security of the Listyaan network, and (c) minimize security risks, including through risk assessment and regular testing. In addition, we ensure that all payment data are encrypted using SSL technology.
Please note, despite the measures we have implemented to protect your data, the transfer of data through the Internet or other open networks is never completely secure and there is a risk that your personal data may be accessed by unauthorized third parties.
- Links to third-party websites